French Destination MaripaSoulaFrench Destination MaripaSoula8 Days Jungle Survival Experiences and Adventures in the Amazon
Come experience some jungle fun with this 8 days jungle survival escapade. This awesome adventure takes you to the remote, pristine Amazon jungle of French Guiana & Suriname, in South America. In one of the most untouched primary jungle in the world, you will witness and experience how to survive from just what the jungle has to offer. With the vast knowledge of three Boekme.com staff, which includes senior, local Maroon guides, you will learn a few basic skills of surviving in the Amazon jungle. This is a moderately demanding but fun adventure and it will surely give you something to look back to with pleasure.
The starting point of the adventure is Albina, from where we head up river, in motorized dugout river canoes deep into the jungle. We will be crossing awesomely fierce rapids and splendid waterfalls.
After 6 hours of cruising we will reach our base camp along the river bank of the Marowijne river (near the Ndjuka Creek). The following day we move deeper into the jungle where we will begin the real fun of learning how to live in the jungle. The Boekme guides and local Maroon hunters from the Okanisi tribe will take you through all you will need to know. This is the truly fun stuff. To experience the way the Amerindians and Maroons have survived in the Amazon jungle for thousands of years.
The first few days we concentrate on the general skills needed to stay alive in the jungle. After this brief period we move deeper into the forest and get into the details of jungle living for the next several days. You will learn among others the following:
- How to find drinkable water
- How to purify water
- How to build a jungle hut/shelter
- How to set up your hammock
- How to make traps to catch fish and small animals
- How to make your own bow and arrows/spears
- How to hunt with bow/arrows and spears
- How to make fire to cook and stay warm
- How to conserve meat
- How to identify edible plants and fruits
- How to identify medicinal and bandaging plants
- How to make natural cordage
- How to maintain hygiene in the jungle
- How to handle medical emergencies such as cuts, broken limbs
- How to build a make-shift raft to cross creeks and small rivers
After the basic orientation you will bring into reality what has been shown to you. Practice makes perfect. For a couple of days, you will be split into two groups, and will be placed in a simulated jungle survival situation. Boekme.com guides will be part each group to monitor everything. There will be daily tasks to be completed as a group, to survive in the jungle.
This is where you will experience the practical daily challenges of living in the jungle. You will also endure the difficulties of not having the daily comfort you are used to, of being in a completely different environment, with no mobile phones and very little human contact.
After a few days of jungle fun we return back to the base camp, to party and get ready for our trip back to the civilized world. Leaving the jungle behind we head back to Albina where you will board the bus and be taken back to your hotel in Paramaribo, where you will be able to catch your plane back to home.
Travel Dates: August 22-29, 2023
Trip duration: 8 days
When to book: We recommend to book at least 10 weeks in advance.
Group size: 10-15
Price: $700 per person
Accommodation Type: You will spend most nights during this adventure at a riverside lodge at Gakaba and at least 1 night in the jungle in your own private hammock under the canopy and stars, or in jungle survival sheds!
Internet Access: Not Guaranteed. And you probably will be happy if there is no access. No calls from pesky and jealous coworkers :). After all you came to escape the daily grind, and be one with nature for a bit:)
Who is this trip for:
- For adventurous individuals who have an interest in the rugged outdoors and nature at its purest
- For those who do not mind to get wet and dirty, enjoy jungle trekking and camping on river beaches and banks
- For those who want to experience living with the bare minimum in the jungle, but still comfortable enough to enjoy it
- And finally, it is for those who want to experience sleeping overnight in hammocks, in sheds on river banks deep into the Amazon jungle
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Paramaribo (Albina)|
Please arrive at least one day prior to the start of the trip in Suriname.
Day 1: Departure & River Expedition to Base Camp
- Apatou, a French village on the right banks of the Marowijne river
- Langa Tabiki, a large island in the middle of the Marowijne river
- Gostoe, an island in the middle of the Marowijne river
At our Gakaba base camp (where we will sleep that night), we will have a delicious dinner, drink ice cold beers and party till late with the locals to celebrate your arrival.
Tonight you can choose to sleep in hammocks or bunk beds.
Day 2: Jungle Survival Introduction
*Throughout this adventure trip you will sleep in a hammock in a jungle hut, with meals prepared for you initially. After a few days you will then start to hunt and prepare food for yourselves. Rest assured that if you don’t manage to catch fish or kill game, you still will have plenty of food available to you.
Day 3-4: Surviving in the Jungle
In the mid morning we leave the jungle behind and hike back to base camp, where we can wash off the jungle dirt and enjoy a relaxing afternoon and evening at the river lodge
Day 5-6: French Destination Maripa Soula
Day 7:Waterfall and Rapids Adventure
Day 8: River Expedition Back to St Laurent/Albina
The remote, pristine Amazonian jungle of French Guyana & Suriname, in South America.